Set up a system for your finances
It’s easier to stay on top of your finances if you have a system to follow. Try these ideas to get set up:
- Keep incoming bills together in a visible location in order of due date. Set a regular date to review and pay, either once a week or twice a month.
- Stash sales receipts and ATM slips in an envelope and check against paper statements or EasyWeb when you pay bills.
- Pay bills automatically by setting up Pre-authorized Debits with the companies you pay on a regular basis. Check your accounts frequently to keep track of payments and balances.
- Check online bill statements to confirm accuracy, noting amount and due date.
- File paid paper bills and checked statements by issuer or by month.
- Shred unwanted paper that shows any personal information.
- Try to keep only what you need to cover expenses in your chequing account. Transfer extra money to a savings or investment account.