Protecting your customers against Interac debit card fraud including skimming
Here are some tips to help you protect your customers:
- Treat your PIN pads like cash. Keep PIN pads out-of-sight when not in use.
- Check your PIN pads and Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) regularly for anything unusual.
- Lock-up PIN pads at closing.
- Include log-in sheets for accountability of the PIN pad in your cash open and close procedures.
- Consider adding surveillance cameras.
- Know your employees – exercise due diligence when hiring and check references.
- Remind your customers to protect their PIN when entering it.
- Talk to your payment service provider about other steps you can take to prevent fraud from happening at your location.
To access information on protecting PIN pads and POS equipment.
Preventing debit card skimming
While Interac Shared Services are among the most secure in the world, debit card fraud can result from skimming.
Skimming refers to the fraudulent practice of capturing account information from the magnetic stripe of a debit or credit card in order to make a counterfeit card. When debit cards are involved, Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) are also stolen. To Access steps you can take to help prevent skimming.
The Interac website has more information on security and cardholder protection.