Learn about Canadian bank accounts
Once you’ve arrived, you will need a safe and secure place to keep your money. In Canada, most people have a “chequing account” as their everyday bank account. A chequing account is an account that you can use for most of your daily transactions.
- Withdraw money as often as you like at any TD branch or ATM (automated bank machine)
- Secure phone and online banking
- Pay bills, shop online or make in-store purchases worldwide with your TD Access Card (bank card)
We speak your language, and with more than 1,150 branches, we’re easy to find.
We have the products and services to meet your needs.
Overdraft protection1 gives you the peace of mind of knowing you are covered for occasional cash shortfalls in your chequing account – up to an approved overdraft limit.
Banking online is convenient, safe and secure with EasyWeb Internet banking. We make it easy for you to learn about online banking with our online tours and demos.
The TD Access Card is a chip-enabled debit card. That means you can use it to pay for purchases and access your TD bank accounts. But you can also use it to shop securely online, or at stores around the world.
Cross-Border Banking services can help make your U.S. banking easier with convenient access to your accounts online, or at one of nearly 1,300 TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank locations in the United States.
Safety deposit boxes are a secure place to store valuables. In some cases, the annual fee for a small safety deposit box may be included when you open an eligible bank account, if available at your branch.
We’ve been serving newcomers to Canada
for over 100 years
When you bank with TD, your money and personal information are always protected.
More than 1,150 branches — open later and longer than other Canadian banks, with 400 open on Sundays.2
Service in over 200 languages.
Explore these other solutions for newcomers to Canada
Our New to Canada package
Our package for newcomers to Canada includes a chequing account.
When you visit a TD branch, you’ll need to bring 2 pieces of identification:
(1) One of the following documents:
- Permanent Resident Card
- Confirmation of permanent residence (IMM Form 5292)
- Temporary Permit (IMM Form 1442, 1208, 1102)
(2) One of the following documents:
- A valid passport
- Canadian Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Government Identification card
Other identification documents may be acceptable or required. Please visit a TD branch for details.
To qualify for the New to Canada banking package:
- You are either a Permanent Resident or Temporary Resident of Canada for 2 years or less
- You provide proof of your status through your Permanent Resident Card or Temporary Permit.
- You have never opened or held a TD Chequing Account
- You are the age of majority in your Province or Territory of Residence.
1 Subject to the terms and conditions of the Overdraft Protection Agreement.
2 Individual branch hours vary.
You ask, we answer