Our banking package has everything
you need to get started.
We can also help you finance
your first home
Get your New to Canada banking package today!
To get your package, you must apply in person, not online. You can choose a branch where your language is spoken.
The New to Canada banking package is available only if you…
- Are either a Permanent Resident or Temporary Resident of Canada and have been one for 2 years or less
- Provide proof of your status through your Permanent Resident Card or Temporary Permit
- Have never opened or held a TD Chequing Account
- Are the age of majority in your Province or Territory of Residence
To get your package, bring 2 pieces of identification:
(1) One of the following documents:
- Permanent Resident Card
- Confirmation of permanent residence (e.g., IMM Form 5292)
- Temporary Permit (e.g., IMM Form 1442, 1208, 1102)
(2) One of the following documents:
- A valid passport
- Canadian Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Government Identification card
Other identification documents may be acceptable or required. Please visit a TD branch for details.
You may also qualify for a TD Mortgage even if you have no credit history if …
- You are a Permanent Resident or have applied to become a Permanent Resident in Canada
- AND you have been in Canada for 5 years or less
Wei says that flexibility and resilience helped him overcome the challenges of being a newcomer.
Harry reveals how looking ahead and being curious has helped him find the courage to reach his goals.
We’ve been serving newcomers to Canada for over 100 years
You can open your TD bank account before you arrive in Canada
If you live in China or India and are moving to Canada, you can call us to open your TD bank account up to 75 days before you arrive. You can also transfer up to $25,000 into your new TD bank account before you arrive in Canada. When you arrive in Canada, visit a TD branch to activate your new bank account.
Make sure you have your Canadian Immigration Visa on hand when you call.
- If you live in North China, call 10800-714-1820
- From South China, call 10800-140-1852
- From India, you can call collect to 416-351-0613
- If you are calling from a North American location, call 1-855-537-5355
The products or services described in this website are not an offer or solicitation to anyone in any jurisdiction in which such an offer or solicitation is not authorized or lawful.
- More than 200 languages.
- ATM (automated bank machine) service in English, French,
Chinese, Italian and Portuguese.
- Telephone banking available in Mandarin and Cantonese.
Safe and secure banking
- When you bank with TD, your money and personal information are always protected.
- Our Online Security Guarantee protects you from theft or losses from unauthorized online banking activity.
- When you use your TD Credit Card, with Zero Liability protection from either Visa or MasterCard (as applicable), you are protected against unauthorized transactions.
How to build a Canadian credit history
Using a credit card responsibly can help you build a positive Canadian credit history. This can help when you need to borrow money to buy a car, or a home, or to open your own business.
Did you know?
With a chequing account, personal cheques are included as a convenient alternative to using cash, and they are often used to pay for things like rent and school trips.
Questions? We’re here to help.
We’d be happy to answer any questions about banking or help you with your personal finances. You can even choose a branch where your language is spoken.
1 Customers received financial compensation for providing testimonials.