Finding a Job
Working in Canada
If you have not already arranged employment before coming to Canada, finding a job will be one of the first things you want to do. If you are in an occupation that is licensed and regulated in Canada—such as being an engineer, nurse, doctor or teacher—it’s important to know about the Canadian licensing requirements for your occupation.
Occupations in Canada
About 20 percent of the occupations in Canada require a licence. These regulated occupations include teaching, nursing, medicine, engineering and a number of others. The remaining 80 percent of occupations are not regulated.
Canadian Job Titles and Job Descriptions
Will the job title you had in your home country be the same one in Canada? A number of positions in other countries have different titles and descriptions in the Canadian job market. Canada uses the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system to classify the over two million job titles in its labour market.
Job Postings in Canada
In Canada, jobs are posted or advertised in a number of ways: on Internet employment sites, at job fairs, in newspaper classified ads, and through government employment agencies. The Government of Canada’s Job Bank includes 50,000 available jobs, with 2,000 new jobs posted every day.
How to Apply for Jobs in Canada
Applying for a job in Canada involves developing a resume and a cover letter, and doing research about jobs and employers.
Starting a Business
The Government of Canada has a Start-Up Guide and a number of other resources to help you get your business venture started. The Small Business Advisors at many TD Canada Trust branches can help you, too.
A public event where large numbers of companies advertise themselves to potential employees and accept job applications.
At TD Canada Trust, we can help you find the resources you need to get settled comfortably.
Come in and talk with us today.